Skip to Main Content

Official Oracle Direction for Discoverer (OBISE)

WilliamsgSep 30 2009 — edited Sep 30 2009
Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I’m hoping that you can assist me with this predicament. I’m finding a lot of confusion regarding Oracle BI Standard Edition (Discoverer) and the official Oracle line regarding its future. Discoverer 11g is now available, albeit on limited platforms but for there is a definite push from within Oracle to move towards an Oracle BI Foundation built on OBIEE Plus (or OBISE1 for smaller projects).

It is my understanding that Discoverer is not on the Oracle BI / Reporting strategic roadmap but I’d like know if there is an official statement from Oracle to confirm this. I know Discoverer 10.1.2.x falls under the OAS 10gR2 lifetime support but for users at a crossroads with an existing investment in Discoverer who are about to embark on further BI / reporting projects I'm confused to know the direction to take. For example using Discoverer with E-Business Suite using an Application EUL Discoverer install the advice from the Oracle OBIEE Migration Utility is to migrate to Oracle BI Apps, but quite frankly that has a large new technology footprint, large cost and offers no migration path for the existing Discoverer investment.

The latest Discoverer SOD on OTN is now 9 months old and doesn’t necessarily convey the same message that I’m hearing verbally from within Oracle.

Michael Armstrong-Smith has a great article on Protecting, Extending and Evolving your Discoverer investment but as I mention I was keen to see if there was an official statement from Oracle around what users should do.

Kind Regards,
Gary
Comments
Post Details