Skip to Main Content

Oracle Developer Tools for VS Code

Announcement

For appeals, questions and feedback, please email oracle-forums_moderators_us@oracle.com

Error using global .gitconfig with active Oracle Developer Tools for VS Code extension

User_ULSE6Nov 8 2023

Hi,

starting like 1 or 2 months back I started having issues when using the builtin GIT functionalty of VS Code.

Whenever I would try to commit something I get the following error message in the GIT LOG:

Author identity unknown

*** Please tell me who you are.

Run

git config --global user.email "you@example.com"
git config --global user.name "Your Name"

to set your account's default identity.
Omit --global to set the identity only in this repository.

fatal: no email was given and auto-detection is disabled

However when I try to commit using just the GIT commands everything works as expected.

The same is true if I add the identity locally to my respective GIT repo. So the problem seems to come from the interaction between VSCode <-> the global .gitconfig <-> Oracle Developer Tools for VS Code extension.

The same is true when I disable the Oracle Developer Tools for VS Code extension - I can than use the GIT functionalities just fine.

I was able to pinpoint it to the interaction with VSCode and Oracle Developer Tools for VS Code extension:

When I disable ALL extensions the git functionalty of VSCode works and the moment I enable just Oracle Developer Tools for VS Code extension I get the mentioned error.

Comments
Post Details
Added on Nov 8 2023
8 comments