Skip to Main Content

Database Software

Announcement

For appeals, questions and feedback, please email oracle-forums_moderators_us@oracle.com

Can The ASM Disk Header and Disk Group Be Renamed?

640716May 22 2008 — edited Apr 9 2011
I have a requirement to mount multiple SAN clones (EMC Symclone) of a production ASM instance on the same development server. RMAN is too slow to be an option, unless I find a white paper explaining any way to make RMAN perform a clone faster than the SAN.

The default response is normally, "Do your clone to dedicated hardware." However, that answer is not an option for obvious financial reasons, especially since I am working with a RAC environment with ~10 development and test environments.

The only way to do this (that I can think of) is to rename the disk header and probably the disk group prior to making it available to the ASM instance.

I have heard that Oracle has come up with an undocumented solution for one or more businesses. I believe it has something to do with the kfed library located in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib.

Has anyone out there managed to do this? If so, can you share your solution or point me in the right direction?

I know I am not the only one out there looking for a solution to this issue...

Thanks in advance.
Comments
Locked Post
New comments cannot be posted to this locked post.
Post Details
Locked on May 7 2011
Added on May 22 2008
17 comments